Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One Set, One Design, 3 Ways and a Tip for you

Wink Wink Ink posted their monthly challenge (this is challenge #4) on CDAC (Crafters Digital Art Center) last Monday. The challenge: BUTTONS. You are to use any kind or size button you would like, as long as there is at least one on your project. How nice and simple is that!


>>>The winner will receive a $10.00 Gift Certificate to the Wink Wink Ink store!!!<<<

Today I want to share with you WWI's brand new set Holiday Peace. I used the same stamp set and the same design for each of 3 cards. I was pleasantly surprised how different the look of the digital image and completed card was by changing/adding just a couple of things. The 3rd one below is the card I made for Challenge #4.

CARD 1
For the first card I simply printed out the pre-colored card front. I searched high and low for matching pattern paper and could not find one! YIKES!! So I did what any good crafter would do, I searched through our Christmas wrapping paper and found a perfect match!

I covered the complete card front with the wrapping paper. I ran my Krylon gold marker around the edges of each layer, adhered with dimensionals and finished off with a bow.

For the inside, using Photo Shop Elements, I changed the opacity of the cat/mouse silhouette to around 20%. I also changed the color of the sentiment using the paint bucket tool. Again running the Krylon marker over the edges and adhered.
CARD 2
For the second card, I wanted it to be just as quick and easy but with a pretty shimmer. I used the Paper Temptress Canvas Luster paper to print the image onto, some colored Vintage Luster paper for layers and White Diamond paper for a base.
 I love how the different paper caused the colors to be muted a bit, printing out is soft pastels.

CARD 3:
For the 3rds card, I deleted the background color of the card front image, leaving it white but the image intact.

TIP:  Try using a firm, flat paint brush to apply your chalks. The one I used for this background is 1/4". What I found is that a paint brush as opposed to other mediums I have tried, such as sponges, daubers and cotton balls:
1. Gives much better control in how light or dark the color is applied
2. Does not apply splotchy but keeps the colors even
3. Gives much better control of where the color is applied. The light around the tree topper is a good example.
4. Gives a much better blending of colors. You can see how the background gets darker as it gets closer to the edges and below the tree, yet there is a nice, gradual blend.
5. Best of all, the paint brush cleans off with just a wipe or 2 on paper and can be used indefinitely, saving money!

I then embossed the candy canes and ornaments with clear powder and added glitter to the tree lights and topper. To finish it off I added some tiny buttons, which I colored with the Krylon marker, to the corner and gift bows. Below you can see that I also added some star buttons, with the back loop cut off, to the inside of the card.

Here you can see the 3 card fronts:



Isn't it amazing the difference a few small changes make!

I am entering this into the following challenge:
Top Tip Tuesday Challenge #5

I can hardly wait to see all your "button" creations through out the month...have fun with it!

Hugs,

8 comments:

Leanne said...

This is a fantastic tip - thank you for sharing with us at Top Tip Tuesday.

Good luck!
Leanne
xx

Maggie's Crafts said...

I love your tip! Thank you for sharing with us at Top Tip Tuesday at toptiptuesday.blogspot.com

Maggie

x

Lelia Pierce said...

How cool! I love the idea of printing the colored image onto the shimmer paper!

XXX

Amy Johnson said...

What pretty cards! You seem so much more computer savvy than I am. I just print and color! LOL!

Darlene said...

FANTASTIC lady! Love what you've done here and yes, how 'different' with just a couple little changes!! Thanks for pointing this out ... we sometimes get in a rut and forget to "think outside the box" ... great job!!

Dawnll said...

Wow is all I can say! Love the three variances to make some spectacular cards. Enjoy your tip about using a brush also- but I have to say you had several tips you shared today. Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday- Good Luck

Caroljenks said...

What a fab set of cards - and so much info - thanks. Great tip with the paintbrush - I've never used one for my chalks...but will do soon ;)

Thanks for sharing with us this week at Top Tip Tuesday :)

Carol x

Melanie Nichols said...

FANTASTIC post and cards and tips! WOW! You are amazing! ;o)