Friday, June 3, 2011

Dressing Up The Refrigerator

Not that I don't have enough magnets on my refrigerator, lol.  My husband likes to collect magnets from everywhere we visit. I just don't think they are very pretty, nor are they strong enough to hold more than one paper, if that. So...I decided to make some that are prettier and much stronger.

I used the retired Stampin' Up set called Stipple Flowers which is a set of 8. Using Staz On ink made them really easy to color without smudging. To color I used my much neglected Prisma pencils and gamasol to blend just a bit. The gamasol did not blend the shadowing on the flowers and leaves well. It did however blend the background colors to make them much smoother. After coloring, I coated the front and sides with 2 layers of Mod Podge glossy.

The tiles are about 2 x 2" and were bought as a 1 sq foot tile. They are so easy to remove from the tile backing so that there are plenty of this size to work with. The tiles are about 3/8" thick. They are nice and heavy, but using strong magnets, will not fall off whatever you put them on, even when holding up paper.
The magnets I used  are super duper strong. This one magnet will hold up to 5 sheets of paper or 3 sheets of thick paper, such at tickets to plays (which is what I am using one for right now). 

The kids (well, all in their 20's) bought my husband 2 tickets to see Fiddler On The Roof for his birthday. Funny, he is not artistic at all. Can't clap to music or even get the simplest of poems. yet, he loves musicals, especially this one. One of these magnets hold so well, there is no chance of misplacing the tickets or that they will fall off and blow under the refrigerator, lol

Anyway....I adhered them with a small dot of E6000 which is the duck tape of glues, lol. It adheres anything to anything, but is really to thick for using on paper. I love this stuff. It is definitely a must have for every craft room :o)
I buy these MagCraft magnets from Amazon here. Like I said, they are super strong and are relatively inexpensive compared to any other magnets I have seen. This particular size came in a package of 24 for $10.39, that is only .44 each!!! I think the price has actually gone up since I bought these. They are 1/2 x 1/16 ", the perfect size for this size mini tile.

If you haven't tried stamping and coloring on tumble tiles yet, go ahead and give it a try. It is SUPER EASY! You can by 4 x 4" tiles at Home Depot or Lowes. I made my daugher coasters for her first apartment with these, which you can see here, on my old blog. I also made some using napkins instead of stamping here, again on my old blog.

Have a great day! Hugs,

4 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, yes... my guess is these are MUCH prettier than your husband's magnets! You did a beautiful job. I have a few handstamped magnets on my fridge, too, but not so nice as these!

Tracey said...

Fabulous idea.....they look beautiful.

lisa808 said...

Cute idea. I've made coasters before, but never thought of magnets. tfs.

Kim said...

Oohhh, I really like these:)

~Kim