Friday, November 6, 2009

Tumble coasters the easy way

As I walked down the plate and napkin isle, I saw these beautiful napkins and had to get them. I had a non crafting friend with me who quickly asked why I was getting them....Oh so sad to not be a paper crafter! Her next question was HOW? could I craft with a napkin...sniff...yes she needs prayer, LOL.

Well....Joann...here is what I made:

Butterfly napkin coasters

You can spy the actual napkins used for these tiles.  I used 1 napkin...yup 1! for 4 tiles.  I adhered them using the faux silk technique, which gave a very unique look to the finished coasters. Applying with Tombow Multi made this a very quick project.

When dry, I used my gold leaf marker to finish off the edges as well as go over the gold line around the butterfly.  To add a shimmer, I pulled out the awesome SU gold and silver shimmer paints. Using a sponge dauber, I dabbed the gold on two and the silver on the other two.

When dry, I gave them 2 coasts of a matte sealant, glued 4" square cork coasters to the bottoms and Voila! 4 beautiful gifts. The only thing left to get is a stand/easel to display them.

Butterfly napkin coasters close up Though the matte sealant did a good job, I would only use these for decoration.

Isn't this pretty. I think wrinkling the napkin before applying helps cover some of the holes that tend to be on these tiles. That makes this a good way to use up the ones that are not stampable due to having to many of these holes.

Another thing this technique is good for...using tiles that did not work out when stamping on them. Two of the tiles I used were from previous projects where the stamping did not come out dark enough or my coloring was REALLY bad. You can't even tell which are the 2 new ones and which are the 2 scrap ones!

Lesson: NEVER throw away mistakes, LOL

Except for the drying time, these coasters took maybe 15 minutes each. Nice! So have fun making some next time you spy some pretty napkins!

Tomorrow, I have an EGGceptional new to me craft to share with you, so please stop by :o)

till then, hugs

 

No comments: