Monday, November 23, 2009

Give Thanks

About 3 weeks ago, I came across a wonderful challenge site called Stamping Sisters in Christ Challenges. I am so very glad I did. The last challenge I submitted was for Operation Write Home which I wrote about in my November 11th post. I am so excited to tell you that, though I did not win that week, I was one of the 3 Shining Stars...YEAHHHHHHH! The next week, which was last week, I was not able to participate in their challenge...Boooooooo!

I have been so busy making Christmas gifts I have neglected my blog and the challenges! The sad thing is I can't post these projects until after the holidays just in case one of the "gifties" happens to check out my blog.

No Longer, though, LOL. I checked out my new favorite challenge site for this weeks challenge.  This week, for challenge #14, Galatians 6:9 is the inspiration.

"Let us not become weary in doing good,

for at the proper time we will reap a harvest

if we do not give up" (NIV)

The challenge: To stop making Christmas cards for a moment and give homage to the spirit of Thanksgiving. We could do this by making a Thanksgiving card, or a card/project expressing thanks.

I really had to think about this challenge. There are so many things for which to be thankful, which one should I focus on?

  • Salvation, spiritual provisions such as the Bible and the Holy Spirit...
  • Family, a great husband, 3 wonderful grown children which have grown into the most amazing adults, my daughters awesome husband, or our first grandchild (a boy) due to be born next month...
  • Provisions of a fantastic home, a job for which my husband can go to each day, food, clothing, cars...
  • Freedom...
  • Enough money to purchase crafting supplies, LOL,

And much, much more!!! Hmm...

After looking at my notebooks that contains photos of each stamp and stamp set...I decided this was a perfect time to use a stamp set that my SU Up Line, Sara, gave me. It is a retired set that I believe is called "Seasonal Shelves". Of course, I used the fall stamp, LOL, but the set has 4 stamps with the same shelf only decorated for each of the 4 seasons.

Here is the card:

Give thanks

I chose this stamp for a few reasons.

  • Shelf reminds me of my home
  • Plates/napkin remind me of my family gathering together around the dinner table
  • The jam/produce reminds me of the food given to us
  • Candles often have a spiritual connotation to them which reminds me of my freedom to worship my Lord and Savior
  • Wreath/flowers/bird house remind me that even the littlest of flowers or birds are important to Him. And how much more so are His children.
  • The duck reminds me of my pets, 3 dogs, which bring laughter to the house as well as reminds me of the devotion I should always show to my Savior
  • The picture itself gives me a warm, homey feeling; a comfort
  • The framed "Give Thanks" reminds me to be thankful for these things plus all the other things that come to my mind as I think on the blessings He has given me

I made the focal point in layers to represent the fact that all my blessing are multi layered (ex: husband, children, grandchildren)

 Give thanks side view  

Here you can see the dimension of the picture, the bow and little frame. Isn't it cute!

Originally it was silver, but I wanted it to be gold to represent the streets of gold I will one day walk upon, for which I am so eternally thankful for. Sooo...I pulled out my marvelous alcohol ink from Adirondack and dabbed a bit of the gold mixative on it and Voila! a gold frame to Show off the Give Thanks one more time.

As you can see, I have much to be thankful for, everyday! As I am certain you all do. For me, the hard part is to remember every moment to be thankful. So, I am thinking that perhaps I should give this card to myself, LOL

What will you be doing this coming Thursday as the US Celebrates Thanksgiving? I know that I will be thinking of all my blessings :o)

Hugs, Sandy O

No comments: