Friday, February 12, 2010

Designing Elements: rule of uneven numbers

In the crafting world, there are certain basic designing elements that help to create a visually appealing project. I will go over some of these elements tomorrow for you, but today I am going  to focus just one, the "rule of uneven number". Uneven numbers are much more visually appealing. For example, using 3 or 5 brads instead of 2 or 4. The first time I heard this, I instantly went to the Splitcoast Stampers gallery to see for myself. To my surprise, it was true most of the time, but...like any "rule" there are exceptions.

One of the challenge sites I like to visit and participate in is Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges. This weeks challenge (#25)  is based on the scripture Mark 10:7-9

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become on flesh. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate (NASB)

The challenge: Create a card/project/layout that reflects the sentiment of this scripture by following this formula: use whatever supplies/stamps you like to create whatever kind of card/project that you like, BUT you must use TWO kinds of each item to make your ONE Creation.

Interesting I thought. This challenge will certainly bring about many exceptions to this rule. You can see all the entries for this challenge here.

Dogwood 2 of everything

This is the card I made for the challenge. As you can see I had a hard time putting only 2 pearls on the corners, so I used 2 sizes on 2 corners.

  • Stamp is a 2 step stamp set called Soft Summer from Stampin' Up. There are 2 flowers and 2 leaves above and below the flower.
  • I colored the flowers, the leaves and the hand made designer paper with 2 colors each.
  • I used 2 different nestabilities for 2 layers and have 2 square layers
  • There are 2 different designer papers being 2x2" sq. each
  • Using two ribbons; one to hold the charms on, one to make the two bows
  • I attached 2 charms on two corners and 2 sizes of pearls on two corners.
  • There are 2 sentiments inside 1. Kind people are the best kind of people 2. Thanks so much both of which came in the set

This made for a lot of uneven numbers but it did not come out to bad. I had fun making this card. It was good to feel the wooden block of a rubber stamp again after so many digital stamps.

I love using both kinds of stamps but am currently learning the in and outs of digitals. I love to learn new things/techniques and taking on new challenges. The digital stamps offer all of these things.

Though they are quite easy to download and print, there are lots of uses for them that I am learning. If you have been a bit leary of trying them you can read more about them in my post here. But...try not to leave you rubber/acrylic stamps to get dusty, LOL.

Have you tried digital stamps yet? If not, can I ask why? If you have, what do you think of them? I really would like to know, so leave me a comment :o) OK? Thanks so much...

Stop by tomorrow if you get a chance and read about more of the designing elements. See you then...

Hugs, Sandy O

 

 


 

Comments from before moving to blogger i visit your blog first time. and its really very impressive. thanks for sharing great ideas. Posted by: become taller | March 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM There are some great tips here Sandy. I need to remember that for the uneven numbers. Seems like I usually add 2 brads if I use brads. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! I hope you get to feel better soon. We are sick at my house too :(

No comments: